Friday, January 25, 2013

Art Linkletter Met His Match

We were driving home from a "so long / farewell" dinner with a pastor friend and his wife when the kids wanted to start spelling big words. I tried to do it Spelling Bee style but I was also coaching them on how to figure out spelling of new words - break it down and sound it out, etc.

One girl regularly interchanges letters, especially vowel/consonant/vowel patterns. I tried to explain how to picture in your mind writing the word on paper as you are reading aloud what you write.

She frustratedly exclaimed, "I DO read it from the paper, but the paper spells it WRONG!"

I about ran off the road I was laughing so hard. Maybe you had to be there.  Her sister was busting a gut laughing because she mistakenly heard "the paper SMELLS wrong."  That's another problem we have besides spelling is hearing!

So we were all three laughing hysterically. Too bad Mommy missed it because she was in the other car. (I met them all straight off of work).
This is our daughter that would have given Art Linkletter enough material for three more books of the hilarious and innocent things she says.

I praise God to be given the stewardship of raising such funny and fun-loving children. How blessed I have been.

The other day Mommy overheard two mothers discussing what a pain, burden and inconvenience children are. How sad for a parent to fail to enjoy life's greatest rewards, the heritage of the Lord.

I am thankful that I will soon be able to invest more daily time with the best girls anywhere.

VM

No comments:

Post a Comment