Sunday, January 13, 2013

Putting Kansas City in My Rearview

In My Rearview
"I've got places to go and country to put behind me." - John Wayne as Quirt Evans in Angel and the Badman, 1947.
I could answer all your questions
That you might like to ask.
But then again, tell me what good would it do?

If you never tried to listen
When we were walking side by side,
What makes me think that now you'll judge me true?

In leaving, I'm not crying.
But it's true there's no denying
That I'll be glad to put this town in my rearview.

Don't say that I'm hurting.
Don't say that I'm running.
Just say that I'll be pleased to move along.

And don't dare think you know me.
And don't try to console me.
Beacuse I'm walking tall again, I'm standing strong.

In leaving, I'm not losing.
It's you, not me, that's choosing.
So I'll be glad to put this all in my rearview.

Big City, I've seen your best.
And yes I've seen your worst.
And now I've seen you from beneath your heel.

Though I get up again,
I know that I can't win.
So I'd have to say that you've lost your appeal.

So In leaving, I've no sorrow
For hoping in tomorrow.
Because yesterday belongs in my rearview.

Don't think that I'm blind.
I know there's pain ahead.
But the pain behind must stay where it belongs.

Don't think I've lost my mind.
Don't try to buy us time.
The chance is gone to right so many wrongs.

And in leaving, I'm believing
That others aren't deceiving.
Since I'm glad to put your lies in my rearview.

You want to call this healing,
But you don't know what I'm feeling.
Don't try so hard to get inside my head.

City, you don't own me.
You'd best just forget me.
I'm moving on to new things up ahead.

And in leaving, I am learning
To live with bridges burning,
Just as long as they collapse in my rearview.

Yes, as long as they collapse between me and you.

I'm burning down the bridge in my rearview.

--Victor Mowery,
Written from Dubuque, Iowa
January 12, 2013

BTW, watch this blog for pictures coming soon of our family's new home in Dubuque.

VM

4 comments:

  1. Here's to new beginnings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here's to necessary endings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May endings always result in beginnings. And may we always be clear upon which one to focus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the poem brother. Its well written and well thought out. Much like every thing you do. I wish you all the luck and blessings that a good man and his wonderfull family deserves. Many a time I have wished that I could put this city in my rear view as well. Maybe some day. Know that distance will never take you from our thoughts and hearts. Love you brother.
    J.D.M

    ReplyDelete