Friday, March 22, 2013

St. Louis BBQ Unimpressive to KC Native

So, here we are in St. Louis for my wife's birthday party with her extended family. I get persuaded to try a famous BBQ restaurant that was featured on a television show called "Man vs. Food."  Only it doesn't take too much persuading because there is NO BBQ, good or bad, in our new home of Dubuque (or decent Mexican or Chinese). So I overcame my hesitancy to eat BBQ outside of Kansas City simply because I was IN NEED.

The line of people waiting at Pappy's Smokehouse was about 300 feet long, though moving steadily.  I figured it must be good.

The result?  I am still convinced, and maybe now even more strongly, that the quality of BBQ has an inverse relationship with the distance from Kansas City. And St. Louis is quite a distance. 

So just like I have always maintained, don't bother with BBQ anywhere east of Biffle's BBQ in Concordia, MO, or anywhere west of Topeka or even Lawrence, or south of Bates City, MO or Stillwell, KS, or north of Smithville, MO.  Just don't even bother, okay?

The quality of the BBQ has an inverse relationship with the distance from Kansas City.  If you keep that in mind, you will never be disappointed in that regard.

VM

No comments:

Post a Comment