Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Got the News a A Pastor Resigned

http://www.jimpreisig.com/my-blog/2011/09/pastor-resigns.html

By the time I heard that Pastor Paul Brooks resigned from the ministry of First Baptist Church of Raytown, MO, it was already old news.  The blogger I linked above kind of summarizes my feelings, except for one thing.  That blogger is praying for others in the situation, but I guess he didn't say he was praying for Paul Brooks, so I will say that I am.  And I thank God for his ministry.

The ministry of Pastor Paul Brooks was instrumental in my life.  I never met him or attended a service there, but I watched his services faithfully on television for several years while I was out of church.  This would have been the late 1990s into very early 2000s.  Of all the decent preachers on television at the time (and there were very few then and even fewer now), Paul Brooks was the one I appreciated the most.  Even the nationally broadcast preachers were not as much help to me as this pastor on local television.

God grew me significantly through the preaching ministry of Paul Brooks.  Many positive changes toward godliness in my life at that time were a result of conviction and education I received while watching his TV show every Sunday morning.  I even have a scholarly project I've long wanted to undertake as a result of his ministry - publishing a unified Gospel account according to the King James Version, as Paul Brooks did with the NIV.

At a time like this in his life and ministry, I wonder if he would appreciate a note or card in the mail.  I think I will attempt to find an address for him, or maybe even a phone number.

The blogger I linked above remembered everyone in the situation except the sinner who brought the situation about.  When you're praying for and comforting those hurt by such a situation, don't forget the one who is ultimately hurt the most - the erring brother.  I find it interesting the Bible doesn't spend much time telling us how to give proper encouragement to those hurt by the sins of others.  But it DOES give very specific instruction to encourage the erring brother who is trying to get right, "lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow."  II Corinthians 2:1-11.

This seems to be so often neglected, especially when the erring brother is a pastor or Christian leader.  There is some apparent comfort offered for a brief time, but when expectations are not met, usually expectations that have not been voiced and may not even be reasonable, the bitterness that was already beneath the surface boils over. 

There is no attempt to understand what the brother is dealing with; there is no graciousness; there is just backbiting, rampant gossip, finger-pointing and overactive fault-finding.  And all this toward a man who, though he was just a man with feet of clay and the same sinful nature as all others, tried to fulfill his call from God to help change lives for the better, and did exactly that for many lives for many years.

God forgive us.  Since we humans can't seem to forgive one another...

VM
06-11-2014

1 comment:

  1. "I find it interesting the Bible doesn't spend much time telling us how to give proper encouragement to those hurt by the sins of others. But it DOES give very specific instruction to encourage the erring brother who is trying to get right..."

    Wow! What a good point!

    ReplyDelete