Sunday, June 1, 2014

Lessons on the Lake

I have been invited to fill in a sermon for my pastor again, this time while he takes an anniversary trip with his wife.  I praise the Lord for even more upcoming opportunities to preach at various times this summer.  It is exciting to again be doing what I love, even if only as a substitute right now.

It was a blessing that our family's extremely busy summer dovetailed perfectly with our pastor's likewise busy schedule.  Every date that he asked me to preach was available on our otherwise full calendar.  I'd say God had that planned.  I will be preaching at least six or seven times in the next three months for our church here and I pray to be used as a blessing.

Previously when I've filled in here, I have simply given messages I have on-hand, updated as necessary.  This time, I took time off work this week for study and prayer and my intent is to preach from the following outline as the Lord allows.

Two fellow church members from Kansas are visiting with us here and this will be the first time they have heard me preach in over two years.  They may hear a repeat in the next week or two, but this message will be fresh for all.  May God use it.

"Lessons On the Lake" - Mark 6:45-52 <read here first>


1. JESUS PRAYS  (vv. 45-46)

a) Those who are Christlike pray

 “You cannot become more Christlike than you are right now, without praying more than you DO right now.”

b) Jesus prays for His own


2. JESUS SEES  (vv. 47-48a)

a) Jesus sees the storm

b) Jesus sees our toil and distress

i) He sees when we toil to do His will despite the storm, and He will bless it
ii) He sees when we give up in the struggle and go outside His will, and He will deal with that as well

3. JESUS HEARS  (vv. 48-50)

Job 34:28b - he heareth the cry of the afflicted.

Psalm 34:15 - The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.

4. JESUS' DISCIPLES OFTEN MISTAKE HIS WORK  (v. 49)

5. JESUS' DISCIPLES OFTEN FORGET HIS WORK  (vv. 51-52)

The study time was a blessing to me again, as God always opens my eyes to so many ways in which we all fall short of what we strive for and preach.  Every point in a genuine Christian preacher's outline is relevant to himself, is targeted to his own shortcomings, is exhortation to his own spirit.  He preaches to himself all week before he stands in the pulpit to preach the condensed version to others.  Praise God for His mercy, grace and longsuffering and for His enablement to rise above our situations and live for Him despite our frailties. 

Dear Jesus, Let me not often mistake Your work or forget Your work.  And let me always remember and take heart that You pray for me, see me, and hear me.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

VM
05/31/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment