Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Barbecue Updates

I have written here before about St. Louis Barbecue from the perspective of a Kansas City native.

Without looking for it, today I stumbled across another guy who feels the same way.  He also gives a shout-out to Biffle's BBQ in Concordia, MO, which I found years ago suited my tastes quite well.  Stacey and I used to stop at Biffle's quite frequently on our long I-70 treks across Missouri.  I think I would have a lot in common with this blogger.

This guy found a decent BBQ in the STL land, not quite up to snuff for a KC native but passable for an exile to the gateway city.  This is worth reading: The quest for BBQ in St. Louis takes me to Smokin’ Al’s | The Silicon Underground

Meanwhile, we are still hunting for decent BBQ in Iowa.  My boss told me about this place, which I shall have to try next time I am in Des Moines.  They won the American Royal Grand Championship, which is pretty impressive to a Kansas City boy: About Smokey D's BBQ

The entire family agreed on our last trip to Kansas City that we wanted to enjoy some Gate's BBQ.  I can still taste it weeks later, it was so good.  Next time back though, we gotta stop at Jack Stack.

I heard one of the Quicks owners is retiring.  I don't know what that means for the BBQ joints, whether Earl Quick's on Merriam Lane will close, or Quick's 7th Street, or both, or neither will close.  If you like Quick's and you haven't had any lately, you better scoot on down there next chance you get.  Remember the Tuesday rib specials at Earl Quick's.  I haven't been to Quick's in over eight years. :(

Somebody else recently seconded our family's opinion that Wyandotte BBQ has the best french fries.  One of our daughters, when she was very little, commented, "I just love these barbecued french fries."  Haha!

Are there rumours about putting the American Royal BBQ Contest inside Arrowhead Stadium?  I believe that would ruin the entire atmosphere.  That's just my opinion.

VM

2 comments:

  1. The rumors are true about Arrowhead/American Royal! Also, we tried a BBQ place for the first time yesterday... RJ's Bob-Be-Que off of Johnson Drive. It was good but the sauce got two thumbs down from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never cared for that RJ's either time I tried it. But you were right around the corner from Johnny's BBQ which has the BEST potato salad and the FRESHEST bread.

      Delete