Thursday, January 5, 2017

The Old Account Was Settled With a Low Carb Diet

My boss was walking around the shop whistling "The Old Account Was Settled" while I was busy contemplating the effects on my body of my latest attempt at low-carb dieting (which began in October, by the way, not just a New Years' resolution).  While he kept whistling, my mind wandered from the text of the song to my thoughts of thick and thin.  This is the result, which I wrote down in about five minutes.

The Carbs, They Gotta Go

My belly was so large,
And growing every day,
For I was always eating,
And never tried to weigh.

But when I looked straight down,
And couldn't see my toe,
I said that I would diet:
The Carbs, They Gotta Go!

Gotta go (out with the carbs).
Gotta go (no carbs at all).
Yes, the fattening carbs,
They really gotta go (Hallelujah)!
And the meat is gonna stay,
With some bacon every day.
But the tasty carbs, they really gotta go!

Of course I would never satirize or make fun of, or even make fun with a cherished hymn that is sacred to us.  But this song's light-hearted melody steps a bit away from the "sacred" sounds of Watts or Wesley and lends itself well to a little bit of horsing around.  Not to be sung in church, though!

Happy New Year!

VM
01-05-2017

No comments:

Post a Comment